The Municipal Joint Services Board (MJSB) was established in 2013 to deliver shared services with our partner municipalities. Its purpose is to improve services for the residents of the Municipality of the District of Lunenburg and the Towns of Bridgewater and Mahone Bay. Operationally, the MJSB provides services in solid waste, information technology, and human resources.
About the role….
Reporting to the MJSB Board, The Chief Operating Officer manages all aspects of the operations and administration. The COO is responsible for the development of the MJSB business plan, risk management, and regulatory compliance as set out in the MJSB agreement. This is a leadership role; the performance of the MJSB depends directly on the focus, efficiency, and effectiveness of the COO.
The key objectives for the role include:
- Serving as a resource and providing advice to the Board in all matters including coordinating and developing key policies and procedures to meet the vision of the Board.
- Providing effective leadership to ensure Board Shared Services provide the utmost effective shared services.
- Aligning business targets and output based on the Board’s long-term strategic goals.
- Ensuring that each operating division achieves its objectives in terms of cost control and efficiency.
- Ensuring that MJSB operations comply with all required legislation and standards as well as risk management.
The Board is seeking an experienced professional to assume leadership of the organization. As the ideal candidate you possess:
- A post-secondary degree in business, public administration, engineering, or other related discipline.
- Significant senior leadership experience in municipal government, municipal services, solid waste management, or other related public sector experience.
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus among stakeholders such as elected officials, municipal partners, staff, other levels of government, contract service providers, and residents.
- Knowledge of Solid Waste operations and regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrated experience with Board or Council relations and governance.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake complex business analysis and strategic plan implementation.
The MJSB provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
The MJSB is committed to offering equal employment opportunities based on qualifications and performance, and free from discrimination because of age, race or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, family status, gender identity, or other protected characteristics, in accordance with the Nova Scotia Human Rights Code.
- To Apply:
Interested individuals should, submit a resume and cover letter in confidence to:
Ashley Chase, Human Resources Officer
Competition #: MJSBCOO_2021
Applications for the position will be accepted until the position is filled.