Latest News and Public Notices
Notice: Mader’s Cove Fire Protection Rate Payers Meeting
The 2020 Annual Rate Payers Meeting of the Mader’s Cove Fire Protection Commission will be held in the Gymnasium of the Mahone Bay Centre on Tuesday, September 29 at 7:00pm.
Notice of Special Council Meeting – September 10, 2020
NOTICE TO THE RESIDENTS OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF THE DISTRICT OF LUNENBURG
Special Council Meeting – September 10, 2020
A Special Council meeting will be held via telephone and video conference on Thursday, September 10, 2020 at 9:00 a.m. The purpose of the meeting is to deal with a matter regarding J Class Roads re Cost Approval. The public does not have access to this meeting while it is in session, but the recording of the public session portion of the meeting will be posted on the webpage within 24 hours of the meeting.
What's New at MODL - August 2020
Internet Projects Underway
- In February 2020, Develop Nova Scotia announced the first round of Internet for Nova Scotia Initiative Projects which included an award to Bell Canada to connect Bell Fibre Op to more than 1000 homes in and around New Germany including parts of Barss Corner, Meisners Section, Simpson’s Corner, Union Square, Elmwood, Watford and Farmington.
- MODL has also supported seven projects that were submitted as part of the second round of applications, which closed in June 2020. We continue to work to improve access to high-speed internet for our residents and businesses. Since 2016 we’ve increased high-speed Internet connections from approximately 60% to 72%. These seven projects, if funded through Develop Nova Scotia, will increase our connectivity to provide fibre-based coverage to up to 95% of residents.
- Since March 2020, we have installed a fixed wireless tower in Chelsea, and expect completion of fixed wireless towers in Nineveh and North River in August, Union Square in September, and Butler Lake in October. Council has also approved two additional TNC fixed wireless towers in East LaHave and LaHave Island.
Elections Going Electronic
- This year, the municipal election will be entirely electronic, with telephone and personal computing devices such as smartphones, iPads, and computers for both the Advance Poll and on Election Day in the 2020 Municipal and CSAP elections to be held in October.
- The decision was made out of concern for the safety of both electors and election workers at the polling stations. Telephone and internet voting were used successfully in the 2016 Municipal and School Board elections during the Advance Polls. This October, voting will be open from 8:00 am Thursday, October 8, ending at 7:00 pm Saturday, October 17.
- All qualified electors who are on the List of Electors with a correct mailing address will receive a Voter Information Letter in late September. This letter will contain a unique PIN identifier which will be required to vote either by telephone or by internet.
Emergency Funding for Community Organizations and Fire Departments
- Council recently awarded more than $116,000 in emergency funding to support not-for-profit organizations and fire departments impacted by COVID-19 cancellations.
- Forty-four organizations received a total of $83,658 from the Community Facility Emergency Assistance Fund. Additionally, Council distributed $32,500 in emergency assistance funding to MODL fire departments, which is a 50% increase in their annual grant.
- Well maintained, good quality roads are essential for our communities; for safety, to maintain property value and for tourism. In the 20/21 fiscal year, MODL has committed to cost sharing with the province more than 12 kilometres of J class roads, for a total investment of more than $3 million dollars.
- The Municipal Road Upgrade Project in Meadow Brook Subdivision which includes Meldrum Ave, Buena Vista Drive and Aspen Court is progressing well and is on schedule meet the substantially completion date of August 28. The re-grading of ditches and grade adjustment of culverts has been completed. A grade crew is scheduled to start preparing the roadbed for asphalt Wednesday August 19, and a paving crew is tentatively scheduled to start paving Monday August 24.
Leading in Accessibility
- MODL launched our new website, www.modl.ca, designed to be more accessible to all website visitors, including people who identify as having disabilities.
We worked with the Association of Municipal Administrators’ Municipal Website Venture, and the website was audited for barriers throughout the development process by the Canadian digital accessibility company, Access Changes Everything.
- The new website is focused on lowering barriers for people with different disabilities, such as visual, hearing, mobility, speech, communication, cognitive, neurological, intellectual, learning, and those with multiple disabilities.
Pleasantville Fire Dept Ratepayers Meeting Rescheduled
Due to unfolding events in the Pleasantville and surrounding area, and for the safety of residents, the Pleasantville and District Fire Department ratepayers meeting scheduled for tonight at 7pm has been cancelled and will be moved to Tuesday, July 28, 2020, at 7pm.
Thank you for your understanding.
Pleasantville Fire Dept Ratepayers Meeting Rescheduled
Due to unfolding events in the Pleasantville and surrounding area, and for the safety of residents, the Pleasantville and District Fire Department ratepayers meeting scheduled for tonight at 7pm has been cancelled and will be moved to tomorrow night Wedneday, July 22, 2020, at 7pm.
Thank you for your understanding.
Notice of Special Council Meetings – June 30, 2020
A Special Council meeting will be held, via telephone and video conference, on Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 9:00 a.m. The purpose of the meeting is to deal with a J Class Road Paving matter and a Legal matter In Camera re Service Contract. The public does not have access to this meeting while it is in session, but the recording of the public session portion of the meeting will be posted on modl.ca within 24 hours of the meeting.
Notice - Summer Meeting Schedule
The Municipality of the District of Lunenburg’s Council meeting schedule for the months of July and August is as follows:The Municipality of the District of Lunenburg’s Council meeting schedule for the months of July and August is as follows:
Audit Committee – July 7, 2020 – commencing 9:00 a.m.
Finance Committee – July 7, 2020 - commencing at the close of the Audit Committee Mtg.
Council – July 14 & 28, 2020 – commencing 9:00 a.m.
There will be no meetings in August unless a Special Council meeting is required.These meetings will be held via telephone and video conference. The public does not have access to these meetings while they are in session, but the recording of the meetings will be posted on the webpage within 24 hours of the meeting. The agendas can be found on the webpage four days prior to the meeting date.
Notice - Schedule of Fire Service Annual Ratepayers Meetings
Due to COVD-19 and restrictions on gatherings, MODL Council waived the requirement for Annual Ratepayer meetings if your fire tax remains unchanged or is lower than the previous year.
Any ratepayer meetings taking place will be via video or teleconference. A copy of each fire department’s budget is available by contacting the listed person for a given fire department.
View the pdf Schedule of Fire Service Annual Ratepayers Meetings (132 KB) to see if your department will be having a virtual meeting or if the rate remains unchanged or is lower than the previous year.
Notice of Special Council meeting - June 2, 2020
Special Council Meeting – June 2, 2020
A Special Council meeting will be held immediately following the Finance Committee meeting on Tuesday, June 2, 2020. The meeting will be held via telephone and video conference. The purpose of the meeting is to consider a contract Negotiations Matter re Internet under Section 22(2)(e) of the Municipal Government Act. The public does not have access to this meeting while it is in session, but the recording and draft minutes of the meeting will be posted on the webpage within 24 hours of the meeting. The agenda can be found on the webpage.
Sherry Conrad, Municipal Clerk
Notice - 2nd Reading to Repeal & Replace Electronic Voting By-law
Notice of Second Reading
To the Residents of the
Municipality of the District oOf Lunenburg
Re: Repeal and Replacement of the Electronic Voting By-law
On May 26, 2020, Municipal Council gave notice of its intention to repeal the existing Electronic Voting By-law that was adopted by Council on May 24, 2016 and to replace it with a new By-law Respecting Alternative Voting and conducted and approved First Reading.
The existing By-law included the 2016 Municipal Election dates for alternate voting. The By-law needed to be amended specifying that Council would, by resolution, set the alternative polling days for each election. The existing By-law outlines the authorization and methods for alternative voting but did not include information on the alternative voting procedure. The new proposed by-law outlines, in more detail, the methods for alternative voting, the process and regulations for same, allows for Council to set the Alternative Polling Days by resolution for each election, and sets the offences and penalties for violating the By-law.
Notice is hereby given that Municipal Council will be conducting Second Reading to repeal the existing By-law and to consider adoption of the new By-law at their meeting of Council on June 23, 2020 which commences at 9:00 a.m. via telephone and video conference.
A copy of the proposed By-law may be obtained on the Municipal Website at www.modl.ca. Further information may be obtained by contacting the Municipal Clerk at 902-541-1323.
Notice of Special Council Meeting – May 26, 2020
Notice To The Residents Of The Municipality Of The District Of Lunenburg
Special Council Meeting – May 26, 2020
A Special Council meeting will be held on Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 9:00 a.m. to conduct regular Council business. It will be held via tele and video conference. The public does not have access to this meeting while it is in session, but the recording and draft minutes of the meeting will be posted on the webpage within 24 hours of the meeting. pdf Read the agenda (4.86 MB) .